Captivating Color in Calligraphy
MINI-CLASS (3 HOURS)
Saturday, July 3 at 9:00 AM CDT
All Skill Levels Welcome
Lettering • Design
Gorgeous greens, blissful blues, passionate purples – let’s learn how to use color to make a fun calligraphy project!
We will explore how to choose colors that work together, make a simple watercolor background, and write a short quote using gouache on the watercolor background. This class is suited to those who have used dip pens before.
- 3 round watercolor brushes – choose size 5 – 10
- 3 bristle bright brushes – size 3 or 4, short handle
- Wash brush – 1.5″ or larger
- 3 water jars/tubs – small, medium, large
- Small handheld hairdryer
- Watercolor boards (masonite, corrugated plastic, plexi, etc.)
- Pencil, sharpener, eraser
- 18″ Grid ruler
- Palette – plastic or porcelain, any shape, at least 10 wells
- Watercolor tape, artist’s tape, or blue painter’s tape
- Paper towels or rags
- Layout paper, or graph paper, or tracing paper for rough drafts
- 2 sheets (cut/torn down to quarter sheets):
Stillman & Birn Delta
Stillman & Birn Beta
Stonehenge 140# watercolor paper
- Broad nibs in 1.5 – 3 mm range
- Pen staff
Color set options (only one set needed):
- Slant board for writing
- Extra lighting for seeing colors well
- Cushions for comfortable seating
Students do ahead:
- Tear down 2 sheets art paper to quarter sheets (approx 11″ x 15″) for a total of 8 sheets.
- Tape down quartered sheets on stiff, waterproof board, plastic, etc. with artist’s tape or wc tape.
- Choose a quote of 5 – 10 words. I’ll also offer a preplanned quote and sizes if you prefer to use that.
- Do several thumbnail sketches ahead of time. *
- Draw circle & pie wedges ready for color wheels. *
- Put out watercolors on palette before class.
* Several of these do-ahead items will be addressed in handouts and/or videos prior to class.
Click on photo to visit biography page
Sequence: Journey of Experimental Calligraphy
Fraktur In Its Glory
The Unconventional Pointed Pen
Drawing the Fibonacci Sequence
Itty Bitty Books
In Search of the Essential
Beginning Copperplate Script
A Letter and a Rectangle
Buttonhole Art Journal
(M) Handwritten: The Art of Tattoo Lettering
Season Leaves Booklet
(M) Learning to Sketch Out Celtic Knots
(M) Learn to Sketchnote!
Pointed Brush for Beginners
Loosening Up With Calligraphy & Paint
(M) A Handwriting Called Petrarch
CAROL MEASURES SCOTT
(M) Captivating Color in Calligraphy
The Art of Miniature Painting & Lettering
(M) The Techniques and Secrets to Raised Gilding
ELMO VAN SLINGERLAND
Broad-edged pen: Roman Capitals
Colorful Lettering Composition