Ben Shahn Lettering
1-Day (4+ hour) Workshop Available through June 1, 2022
All Skill Levels Welcome
Lettering • Design
Start studying now & save!
Ben Shahn is best known for his powerful posters and works of social realism from the 1960’s. His lettering is quirky and lively, and very much the product of a hand. The script is easily learned and can be adapted and customized as needed for various applications. The informal, fresh look of the script is perfect for cards, envelopes, manuscript books and broadsides. This one-day class focused on learning the Ben Shahn letters and also explores color-blending and several creative layout exercises.
Bring any that you already own. (The pens made from Coke cans from classes with Brody Neuenschwander and/or Peter Thornton will not work well for us in this workshop.)
Folded Pens that I recommend (pictured in the order listed here). Please have at least one folded pen that you enjoy working with.
- Tim’s Pen – Radius or Mini Radius – John Neal Books
- Luthis Libelula – John Neal Books
- Horizon Brass Folded Pen – Paper & Ink Arts (available as a nib alone, or in a holder)
- Radius-Cut Pilot Parallel Pen, 6 mm or 3.8 mm – John Neal Books
- Higgins Eternal or Walnut
- Optional: A bottle or two of colored inks that you like to use. It is much simpler to dip our folded pens into ink than to fuss with the watercolor pans in the paintbox.
- Gilbert Bond (11”x17”) is my favorite paper for any calligraphy practice – John Neal Books
- Pencil, cotton rag, water container
Click on photo to visit biography page
Sequence: Journey of Experimental Calligraphy
The Unconventional Pointed Pen
Drawing the Fibonacci Sequence
Beginning Copperplate Script
A Letter and a Rectangle
Ben Shahn Lettering
(M) Handwritten: The Art of Tattoo Lettering
(M) Learning to Sketch Out Celtic Knots
(M) A Meditative Calligraphy Technique
(M) Learn to Sketchnote!
Loosening Up With Calligraphy & Paint
CAROL MEASURES SCOTT
(M) Captivating Color in Calligraphy
The Empty Space, Womb of Shape
ELMO VAN SLINGERLAND
Broad-edged pen: Roman Capitals
Colorful Lettering Composition
Akim Variations and Long Compositions