Value Contrast: Exploring the Grey Areas
Monday, July 5 at 9:00 AM CDT
Beginner – Advanced
Traditional text consists of dark letters on white paper, but the most exciting presentations include all the shades between. This design workshop is for students who want to increase their understanding of color principles by focusing on one aspect of it—value. We will work with a variety of media to fine tune your understanding. We will work with a variety of media, including gouache, pencil, ink and collage to explore the many aspects that create expressive presentations of your words.
This workshop is ideal for students who are seeking to be more expressive in their presentations, but lack the training to know where to begin.The result is a portfolio of many ideas that will apply to their work, whether traditional or contemporary.
$30 Materials Fee required
(includes pre-cut paper and shipping within the contiguous United States)
- T-square, triangle, 18” cork back metal ruler
- Masking or drafting tape
- Scissors, X-acto knife with #11 blades, or Snap-off knife, plastic cutting mat or scrap of mat board
- Pencils, various hardnesses (4B, 2B, HB, 2H, Soft eraser, such as Magic Rub
- Water jar
- Ink rags or tissues, sponge (for sticky fingers)
- Old toothbrush for cleaning pens
- Glue stick (UHU), rubber cement pickup
- Dip pens, various sizes, your favorites such as Brause, Mitchell or Speedball
- 5-6 pen holders, enough so that you won’t be changing nibs frequently
- Non-waterproof black ink, such as Moon Palace
- Also bring, if you have them, a ruling pen, large brass pens, brushes, flat and or pointed—your favorite mark-making tools.
- One very large brush, foam or bristle
- One half sheet of Arches Text Laid or Wove cut 2 strips to 8×26”, plus 1 strip 4×26”
- Layout bond or non-repro graph paper
- A few scraps of good white or off-white paper. Scraps (5×7” or so) of gray, brown and beige paper, such as Canson or Strathmore, or other kinds. Other colors, too, if you have them
- Tracing paper for rough drafts
WRITING WITH COLOR
Designer’s gouache in assorted colors plus Ivory Black, also Pro White and/or white gouache. Bring what you have; we’ll discuss paint qualities.
- Palette for gouache, old brushes for mixing gouache, some better ones for applying paint.
- Gum arabic
- Water container, paint rags
Click on photo to visit biography page
Sequence: Journey of Experimental Calligraphy
The Unconventional Pointed Pen
Drawing the Fibonacci Sequence
Beginning Copperplate Script
A Letter and a Rectangle
Ben Shahn Lettering
(M) Handwritten: The Art of Tattoo Lettering
(M) Learning to Sketch Out Celtic Knots
(M) A Meditative Calligraphy Technique
(M) Learn to Sketchnote!
Loosening Up With Calligraphy & Paint
CAROL MEASURES SCOTT
(M) Captivating Color in Calligraphy
The Empty Space, Womb of Shape
ELMO VAN SLINGERLAND
Broad-edged pen: Roman Capitals
Colorful Lettering Composition
Akim Variations and Long Compositions