Monday, July 2 at 9:00 AM CDT
All Skill Levels Welcome
This workshop will be an in-depth study of the Formal Italic Alphabet through demonstration and revealing exercises. We will study each of the components of the alphabet – what makes it look the way it does – and use this information to determine how your personal Italic can be improved. We’ll begin with pen angle, structure, branching and shape.
You’ll learn how to fix new, old and “yucky” pens so they become “good” pens. You’ll learn how to make gouache and watercolor flow beautifully through your pen. Become your own teacher and be the “Boss” of your tools.
- Hunt-Bienfang Calligraphic Practice Pad #206 (can get through John Neal, Dick Blick – http://www.dickblick.com/products/bienfang-calligraphy-practice-pad/ OR Amazon – http://www.amazon.com/Bienfang-Inches-Calligraphic-Practice-R400145/dp/B001KZH2C8
- **I will be sending a copy of a page from this pad, which can be copied onto paper that won’t bleed, if you’d prefer not to purchase the pad.
- Speedball C-2 pen or comparable (Brause 2.0 or 2.5, or Tape 2.5 or Mitchell 1.5, if you prefer). My preference is Speedball
- Pelikan 4001 ink (any color) or Bister ink, or walnut ink (only these, please – can get through Paper & Ink Art or John Neal)
- Watercolor palette (prefer Prang), but other sets OK, or tube watercolor and palette
- Water pot, mixing brushes, paper towels
- Few sheets of tracing paper
- X-acto knife
- Glue stick
- C-thru ruler at least 12” long or any ruler
- Fine-line, LIGHT-colored marking pen (i.e. Micron) or colored pencil in contrasting color to your ink
- Tools to rule – your choice – C-thru ruler or (ONLY IF you have It) – Ames Lettering Guide and T-square. I will demonstrate lining paper, so you can purchase these tools afterward.
- A piece or two of better papers of your choice (Canson Ingres, Arches Text Wove, Arches hot press WC, Niddegen, Frankfurt, etc) – about10” x 12” pieces
Click on photo to visit biography page
Sequence: Journey of Experimental Calligraphy
Fraktur In Its Glory
The Unconventional Pointed Pen
Drawing the Fibonacci Sequence
Itty Bitty Books
In Search of the Essential
Beginning Copperplate Script
A Letter and a Rectangle
Buttonhole Art Journal
(M) Handwritten: The Art of Tattoo Lettering
Season Leaves Booklet
(M) Learning to Sketch Out Celtic Knots
(M) Learn to Sketchnote!
Pointed Brush for Beginners
Loosening Up With Calligraphy & Paint
(M) A Handwriting Called Petrarch
CAROL MEASURES SCOTT
(M) Captivating Color in Calligraphy
The Art of Miniature Painting & Lettering
(M) The Techniques and Secrets to Raised Gilding
ELMO VAN SLINGERLAND
Broad-edged pen: Roman Capitals
Colorful Lettering Composition